Friday, December 31, 2004


When I saw Mary Oliver read a few months ago, one of my favorite poems was "The Storm." It's a little cute on the page, but in her voice it was lovely.

The Storm

Now through the white orchard my little dog
     romps, breaking the new snow
     with wild feet.

Running here running there, excited,
     hardly able to stop, he leaps, he spins
until the white snow is written upon
     in large, exuberant letters,
a long sentence, expressing

     the pleasures of the body in this world.

Oh, I could not have said it better
     myself.

This was the most succinct, sentimental and probably the shortest poem she read. On the whole I was impressed with her themes of ecology, nature appreciation, her simple yet profound spirituality. I can see now why she's so popular.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home